A Consumer’s Guide To ASTECC Spa Treatments
Intended as a treatment guide for guests, ASTECC’s Expectations and Outcomes details the therapeutic and protocol objectives of spa treatments in three major spa disciplines: Hydrotherapy, Soft Tissue Therapy and Dr. Vodder’s Manual Lymph Drainage.
Originally developed as a support document for front desk and reservation personnel at ASTECC certified spas, the guide provides guests with information which may prove helpful in selecting treatments designed to address specific needs.
If you are interested in learning more about ASTECC’s holistic approach to the art and science of spa or if you would like to meet with an ASTECC certified therapist near you, please contact us.
Composed of a wide range of treatments including body scrubs, wraps and assorted baths, Hydrotherapy’s primary objective is to affect circulation and the autonomic nervous system. Hydrotherapy treatments can be extremely effective in addressing common disorders including anxiety, muscle debility, circulation, skin conditions and joint problems.
Hydrotherapy Bath (Tub)
Depending on indications (skin, joints, circulation, etc) therapist will determine the temperature and character (therapeutic additives) of a treatment.
- Discussion of indications
- Full explanation of the treatment and additives
- Alleviation of discomfort
- Increased elimination
As invigorating as it is relaxing, a Salt Scrub is a perfect antidote for addressing fatigue, lowered immune resistance, chronic colds, sluggish metabolism and temperature sensitivity.
- A vigorous but rhythmic salt friction massage
- Increased peripheral circulation
- Warm tingling sensation ( as a result of nerve receptor stimulation)
- Heightened energy
- Mental clarity
- Smooth, soft skin
Characterized by their distinct mineral and trace element properties, a seaweed (or a combination of different seaweeds) is selected for its therapeutic effect. Seaweed properties are such that they increase circulation thus activating a mild detoxification without raising body temperature.
- Application of essential oils ( as a catalyst for the absorption of trace elements and minerals)
- A fluid application of warm seaweed
- To be wrapped for approximately 20 minutes before removal of sea plant composition.
- An application of marine body lotion to complement treatment’s hydrating aspect
- Re-mineralized & toned dermis
- Increased circulation / elimination
- Sense of lightness and calm
- Sense of nternal and external cleanliness
Cold Sheet Wrap
Therapeutic and detoxifying, cold sheet wraps are ideal for addressing stress, fatigue and chronic immune conditions.
- Cold! Initially enveloped in cold, the body begins to heat within 30 seconds
- Reheating occurs within 5-8 minutes (inducing deep relaxation / sleep)
- Duration of wrap depends on indications
- As body heat builds, temperature increases
- Cool towels applied to the forehead
- Therapist monitors treatment response
- Refreshed and rejuvenated
Mud, Clay & Fango Therapy
Mud, Clay and Fango therapies assist in thermal transfer and is generally used to heat specific areas of the body. Indications include joint problems, muscle spasms and chronic arthritis. Detoxifying and mineralizing, treatments may be local or full body.
- Warm mud application and warm towel / sheet envelopment
- Elevated temperature throughout most of treatment
- Therapist to monitor comfort levels
- Cool towels to be applied to forehead
- Depending on specific indications, localized treatments may be cold
- Deep relaxation
Contrast Vichy Shower
Stimulating in nature, treatment is designed to boost circulation, immunity and metabolism.
- Shower heads placed over the spinal and leg reflex zones
- An alternating sequence of warm and cold water
- Therapist monitoring comfort levels at all times
Specific to the feet and based on the same principles as the Vichy, treatment is excellent for circulation and relaxation.
- Feet placed in warm water ( Based on intake evaluation, water likely to contain a herbal or mineral additive)
- Follow with a cold footbath. Repeat sequences several times.
- Extreme calm and relaxation
- Pleasant sensation of vital energy
There are a variety of compress therapies including: moist, heat, warm and cold applications. Therapist will determine which application is most suitable based on specific needs.
- A discussion / intake to determine correct treatment
- Localized application specific to indication
- Time will vary
- Alleviation of distress factor
Soft Tissue Therapies
Specific to the loose connective tissue, ASTECC soft tissue therapies work with the fluid, amorphous body…that which lies between the body’s cells and provides the linking of systems – from skin, to muscle, to the central nervous system. Recognized as the vital, life sustaining mass through which cells, waste product, nerve pathways and nutrients pass, the connective tissue serves as a link between the conscious and unconscious body.
Aroma Reflex Therapy
Based on Marguarite Maury’s original method, this detoxifying, deeply relaxing therapy explores the organic source of imbalance and distress. Constitutional aromatics are applied along the spinal and body reflex areas for the purpose of decongesting tissues, restoring flow and regulating the body’s bio-rhythms.
- A pre-treatment conversation to determine which synergistic blend of essential oils is ‘constitutionally’ appropriate for body type
- Discussion of body assessment and imbalances observed during treatment
- Follow-up recommendations
- Marked increase of elimination through the urinary system
- Deeper sleep, vivid dreams.
- Clarity of mind
- Heightened awareness
- Emotional balance
Note: Sequence of 3 treatments recommended for maximum effect.
Employing the internationally recognized Ingham method to address corresponding organs and structural imbalances via pressure points, Reflexology is based on the theory the macrocosm of the body is mirrored in the microcosm of the foot.
- A methodical, structured whole foot routine
- A dialogue with therapist regarding areas of evident distress, tension and structural imbalance
- Treatment to be relaxed and comfortable with areas of distress eased gradually by therapist
- Increased circulation
- Structural balance
Connective Tissue Massage
Based on the Elizabeth Dicke method, specific stroking techniques are used over dermatome reflexes for the purpose of encouraging balance of underlying areas and viscera.
- Slight sensation of scratching, stinging or itching ( normal occurrences to stimulation of circulation in specific zones)
- A quieting of the mind
- Alleviation of body stressors
- Improved circulation and appearance of the cutaneous tissue
- Rejuvenation as a result of deep relaxation
Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD)
Anti-inflammatory, decongestive and deeply relaxing, MLD features light pumping movements applied in specific areas for the purpose of increasing lymphatic flow while encouraging the removal of metabolic waste.
- Therapist to address specific regions (e.g., lower back pain would be treated by working over the gluteal region)
- Therapist will always begin with treatment of the neck and will describe procedure
- A pleasant, relaxing sensation inducing sleep and alleviation of symptoms.
- Improved circulation
- Reduced inflammation / fluid retention
- Improved respiration
Note: For maximum effect, MLD treatments recommended in series.
THE PERSONAL LIFESTYLE PROFILE
Having undergone a thorough consultation with an ASTECC certified therapist, a spa treatment program is developed along with recommendations for home care. The treatment program in conjunction with home care protocols is specifically designed to restore homeostasis and to maintain optimal ’constitutional’ levels of vital bio – nutritive chemical elements.